Home     About Us     Our Program      Testimonials     Find A Center     Art Resources     Contact Us

Monday, February 19, 2007

Freewriting

The other morning, as I was looking out the window, I noticed a hawk land on the tree outside. It had a fresh bird in its claws. I had an instance where I thought the hawk was looking at me through the window. But, I soon realized that it had no idea I was even there.

So, I moved slowly in case it could see movement through the window. I found my easel and my palette. Then, I started painting. I didn't know how much time I had, but I was moving as fast as I could.

The hawk started to eat the bird and some might find that revolting. But, I looked at it through the artist's eyes. I was looking at nature and the cold, hard truth outside my window. Several times, I do believe I caught the hawk looking at me and it just might have been. It might have wanted this truth to be captured. It might have wanted this moment to become part of a historical documentary like it had been through it before.

Whatever it's purpose was, I couldn't believe how blessed I was this morning. Not only was I painting, but nature had given me the theme. How many times have you wanted to paint so bad, but you couldn't come up with an image to put on a canvas? We love when we are inspired by an image that hits us, but we have so many blank moments where we have no idea what to paint.

When that happens, there is a little technique anyone can use. I like freewriting. Freewriting is when you place a few minutes aside and you grab a piece of paper. Then, you write everything that comes across your brain. Sometimes you have to actually think about what is on your brain. Sometimes you have to begin this writing episode by simply writing, "I have nothing on my brain...I have nothing on my brain."

Keep repeating that until something starts to come across. Here are your rules. Don't worry about spelling or grammar. Don't make corrections to anything. Just keep writing and writing until you have filled up three pages or five minutes have gone by. Now you are ready to find your theme. Look through your rambling for a hint of what is on your mind. You'll find it. It's right in there.

Not all of us can have an inspired moment like a hawk landing outside our window. But, to keep the creative juices flowing there are plenty of strategies. Freewriting is the most effortless.

No comments: